Republic of the Philippines - Stamps & Postal History


RP Issues of 1947










1947, June 19.  Pictorials, Series 2 (Definitives)

Engraved.  American Bank Note Company (ABNC).  Perf. 12

Singles, Sheets of 100


   12c  Jones Bridge - Singles  (12,000,000)

   16c  Santa Lucia Gate - Singles  (8,890,492)

   50c  Colonade of Palm Trees - Singles  (8,300,000)


Note:   Quantities shown has taken into considerations additional printings, minus overprints & surcharges for each value. The 16c Santa Lucia Gate was withdrawn by the Bureau of Posts on July 26, 1950 due to labeling error; depicted on the stamp is Puerta Real but labeled as Santa Lucia Gate. 


First Day Covers:  Manila




1947 Pictorials - Series 2  (Definitives)

Jones Bridge.  The William A. Jones Memorial Bridge, commonly known as the Jones Bridge, is an arched girder bridge that spans the Pasig River in Manila.  It is named after the United States legislator William Atkinson Jones, who served as the chairman of the U.S. Insular Affairs House Committee which had previously exercised jurisdiction over the Philippines and the principal author of the Jones Law that gave the country legislative autonomy from the United States.  Originally designed by Filipino architect Juan M. Arellano using Neoclassical architecture. 

Santa Lucia Gate  (Depicted on the stamp is Puerta Real but labeled as Santa Lucia Gate).  The Santa Lucia Gate, or Puerta de Santa Lucia, was built at the end of Calle Real del Parian, Intramuros. It also served as the principal egress going to the seashore. It was built by Governor General Jose Basco y Vargas from 1778 up to 1787 during the reign of King Carlos III. The planning for the construction of the gate started in 1781, and was completed circa 1791, drawn by Brambila. Santa Lucia Gate was demolished by American tanks in 1945 and was rebuilt in 1968 by the Intramuros Restoration Committee, in accordance to the original plans archived from Spain.

Puerta Real is one of the original entrances to the Walled City when it was built in 1603. It underwent improvements in the late 18th century including the addition of two side chambers added during renovations done by Governor-General Jose Basco y Vargas (1778-1787). A wooden marker commemorating the gate's new appearance was later installed over the entrance.  

Colonade of Palm Trees.  Believed to be based on a photograph depicting a line of palm trees outside the Wall of Intramuros.



  • Tourism

  • Bridges

  • Trees


Articles by Dr. Ngo Tiong Tak


Back to the Top



Issues of 1946-1949