St. Luke's Medical Center - Singles
Miniature Sheets of Twenty (9,525)
Rizabelle Cloma Santos
Alfonso V. Divina
Edgar P. Patricio
Facade of St. Luke's Medical Center & Anniversary Logo
First Day Covers: Manila
ST. LUKE'S MEDICAL CENTER - 100th
Founded in 1903 by American Episcopal missionary Charles Brent, St.
Luke's Hospital started as a nine-bed ward and dispensary
named Mosher Hall. In 1907, it became the University Hospital. Over
the next three decades, bed capacity at St. Luke's Hospital
increased to 140 beds. During the Japanese Occupation, the
hospital's name was changed to Nippon Byoin.
In 1959, St. Luke's Hospital moved to its new site in Cathedral
Heights. Already a 190 bed hospital by then, it had a neuro-psychiatric
unit, a cobalt therapy unit, and a physiotherapy department, all new
health services for the community.
The era of St. Luke's Hospital as a church-owned institution ended
in August of 1975. Stewardship was transferred to a board of
trustees, and St. Luke's Hospital became an independent,
non-sectarian, non-profit, non-stock corporation with income
continuously reverting back to the hospital for acquisition of
world--class equipments, funding of medical research, and providing
charity medical care. In line with these, the hospital was renamed
St. Luke's Medical Center in 1984.
In 1991, St. Luke's Medical Center was cited by both the Asian
Institute of Management and the World Executive Digest, in their
First Annual Management Awards, as one of Asia's Outstanding
Today, the 650-bed hospital facility has nine institutes, namely:
Heart, Radiology, Pathology, Pulmonary Medicine, Ophthalmology,
Neurosciences, Digestive Diseases, Cancer, and Orthopedics and
Sports medicine. It has thirteen departments, namely: Surgery,
Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Anaesthesiology,
Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Physical Medicine and
Rehabilitation, Emergency Medicine, Out-Patient Care, Radiation
Oncology, Nuclear Medicine, Legal Medicine and Jurisprudence, and
Dentistry and Oral Surgery. And it has three centers, namely:
Geriatric, Pain Management, and Stone and Prostrate Treatment.
Adjacent is the Medical Arts Building and the Cathedral Heights
Building Complex, where over 1,000 hospital-affiliated medical
consultants see outpatients in more than 500 private clinics. Also
located within the compound is the St. Luke's College of Medicine -
William H. Quasha Memorial.
St. Luke's Medical Center has the perfect synergy of
state-of-the-art technology and first class human resources in its
continuing pursuit in providing high quality health care and
services to the country. And in the same breadth, it has maintained
its lead in the hospital industry and lived up to its credo, "World
Class Technology and Expertise in Caring Hands,"