Bartolome Parish - Singles (115,000)
Designer: Victorino Z. Serevo
Graphic Artist: Richard Allen M. Baron
Rev. Fr. Raul delos Santos
First Day Covers: Manila
San Bartolome Parish Church 4th Centennial
The PARISH OF SAN BARTOLOME, in Magalang, Pampanga
marks this year the 400th anniversary of its establishment as a
parish. Established in 1605, it is one of the oldest parishes in the
After being separated from the parish of the nearby
town of Arayat, Pampanga, the first
parish church was built in a small Barangay of Macaspac,
Magalang. After being flooded, it was transferred to Barangay Talimundok where a church was built in 1725.
The present church was built in 1866 by Fr. Ramon Sarrionanda, an Augustinian Friar. The church
is basically made of dead stones or pumice, gathered from the nearby
town of Porac, Pampanga, which up to
now has a mine of sand and such stones, especially after the
eruption of the Mt. Pinatubo.
The facade and walls of the church are still of the
original design. Like much of the town, nothing much has changed.
The parish of San Bartolome and the
town of Magalang is home to a peaceful,
quiet and loving people, of respectful folks. Magalang is a Filipino word for respectful.
These. qualities are recognized in this simple and not so remote
town, being a neighbor to the highly urbanized Angeles City. They
are the typical simple Filipino folks of similar towns that live in
rural peace and simplicity.
The parish is a beacon
of Filipino faith and culture. It is home to a growing populace of
more than 50,000 people, and it is the center of 27 barangays and 5
barrio parishes. The town celebrates its fiesta on August 24, feast
of her patron saint.