2007, January 19. Philippine School for the Deaf Centennial
Amstar Company, Inc. Perf. 14.
Sheets of 50 (5 x 10)
Facade of the Main Building - Singles (35,000)
Designer: Jose A. dela Cruz
Graphic Designer: Jason P. Aquino
Design Coordinator: Ma. Emma T. Tovillo
First Day Covers: Manila
PHILIPPINE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAFT - 100th ANNIVERSARY
The Philippine School for the Deaf,
formerly known as the School for the Deaf and Blind, is the pioneer
school for the handicapped in the country and in Asia. It is a
semi-residential school and the only government owned institution
for the deaf in the country.
It started in 1907 when Dr. David P.
Barrows, the Director of Education in the Philippines, invited to
the country Miss Delia Delight Rice of Columbus, Ohio, a teacher of
the deaf and daughter of deaf parents. The program started with a
class of three pupils from the provinces (two deaf and one blind) in
a house in Ermita, Manila.
In June 1923, it occupied its present
building: a large two-storey and semi-concrete structure along
Harrison Boulevard on a lot donated by an anonymous American lady.
Since then, a number of buildings have been constructed for the
diverse educational program and services provided for the needs of
the hearing impaired.
Effective June 1963, by virtue of RA
3562, the School for the Deaf was separated from the Philippine
National School for the Blind. In July 1970, the institution was
renamed Philippine School for the Deaf since it started catering
only to the educational needs of the hearing impaired. It redirected
its thrusts in 1986 to serve as an educational, research, resource
and service center.