2014, October 12. Quezon City, 75th Anniversary
Litho Offset/Laser Printing, Amstar Company, Inc., Perf
13 3/4 x 13 1/2
Jumbo-sized, 35mm x 50mm
(spot lamination with glow in the dark ink on souvenir sheets)
Se-tenant Blocks of Four, Miniature Sheets of 16; Souvenir
Sheets of One
Miniature Sheets of 6 -
10p x 6 with Blank Right Halves - Commemorative SelyoKo
Tandang Sora Shrine
Emilio Jacinto Shrine
SM North Edsa
UP-Ayala Techno Hub
Miniature Sheets of 16
Souvenir Sheets of One
100p Quezon City Memorial Circle
250p Commemorative SelyoKo Miniature Sheets of 6 (1,700)
10p x 6
- Quezon City Memorial Circle with
Blank Right Halves
Designer: Giovanni Estrada
Design Coordinator: Regina A. Samson
Layout Artist: Victorino Z. Serevo
First Day Covers: Manila & Quezon City
QUEZON CITY - 75th ANNIVERSARY,
1939 - 2014
In 1938, Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon directed the
Peoples’s Homesite Corporation to purchase 15,723 sqm of land in the
Diliman Estate. This tract of land later becomes Quezon City.
Commonwealth Act No. 502,
creating Quezon City, became a law at 11:40 am on October 12, 1939.
Assemblyman Ramon P. Mitra
named the city Balintawak. Assemblymen
Narciso Ramos and Eugenio Perez filed an amendment changing the name
to Quezon City.
In 1941, Quezon City is declared part of Greater Manila remaining so
until January 2, 1947, when its separate political existence was
restored by Republic Act No. 45. The
city became the capital of the Philippines in 1948, when President
Elpidio Quirino signed Republic Act 333, the charter of
Quezon City. This status
lasted until 1976, when Presidential Decree 940 declared Metro
Manila as the seat of the National Government, and Manila as the
Melchora Aquino (Tandang
Built to commemorate the kindness and humanity of the City’s
very own heroine, Melchora Aquino. Also
known as Tandang Sora, the Mother of Revolution became famous for
providing refuge and food to wounded Katipuneros when the war
against Spain broke out in 1896. When the Spaniards learned about
her activities, she was asked where Andres Bonifacio was hiding but
she unflinchingly refused to tell them. She was then arrested by the
Spanish Guardia Civil and was deported to the Marianas Islands.
The grand shrine is located on Banlat Road, Tandang Sora, and
has a pavilion and stage which is used as venue for historical
events and gatherings. There is another shrine built in her honor in
the Himlayang Pilipino Memorial Park, which serves as a repository
of her remains.
General Emilio Jacinto
Where the remains of the young general are still resting.
The sculptures on the tomb
were cold cast in bronze by renowned Filipino sculptor Florante
"Boy" Caedo. Jacinto was a
Filipino General during the Philippine Revolution.
He was one of the highest
ranking officers in the Philippine Revolution and was one of the
highest ranking officers of the revolutionary society Kataas-taasan,
Kagalang-galangang Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan or simply and more
popularly called Katipunan (KKK), being a member of its Supreme
Council. He was elected Secretary of State for the Haring Bayang
Katagalugan, a revolutionary government established during the
outbreak of hostilities. He is popularly known in Philippine history
textbooks as the Brains of Katipunan.
SM City North EDSA.
A shopping mall located at the intersection of North Avenue
and Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA) in Quezon City.
It is the second largest shopping mall in in the Philippines
and fourth largest in the world in terms of leasable area.
The mall is operated by SM Prime Holdings, a local company
in the Philippines, and the biggest retail and mall operator in
Southeast Asia. SM City North
EDSA opened on November 25, 1985 with an original concept offered a
variety of tenants and flagship stores. The mall's redevelopment
began with the opening of The Block in July 2006, went into high
gear with the launching of newly modernized Annex in December 2008,
and the opening of the Sky garden in May 2009. The Car Park Plaza
transformed into a lifestyle center in 2009.
U.P.– Ayala Land Techno
An information technology hub jointly developed by the
University of the Philippines Diliman and property developer Ayala
Land. It is located in
Commonwealth Avenue, Barangay U.P. Campus , Quezon City.
It occupies 20 hectares (49 acres) within the 37.5 hectares
(93 acres) of the U.P. North Science and Technology Park.
The entire development was listed as an approved IT Park by
the Philippine Economic Zone Authority in February 2009.
This status makes export-oriented companies located therein
eligible for temporary tax holiday, permanent reduced rate of
corporate income tax, and other incentives.
IBM announced in February 2009 that it would open an
Innovation Center at the park, its second in Southeast Asia.
Quezon City Memorial
A national park and a national shrine located in Quezon City,
The park is located inside a
large traffic circle in the shape of an ellipse and bounded by the
Elliptical Road. Its main
feature is a tall mausoleum containing the remains of
Manuel L. Quezon, and his
wife, First Lady Aurora Quezon.
After World War II, President Sergio Osmeña issued an
executive order stipulating the creation of a Quezon Memorial
Committee to raise funds by public subscription to erect a memorial
to his predecessor, President Manuel L. Quezon. A national contest
for the Quezon Memorial Project was held 1951. Filipino architect
Federico S. Ilustre's design won the contest.