2018, April 5. La Castellana Municipality Centennial
Litho Offset, Amstar Printing Company, Inc.,
Se-tenant Pairs, Sheets of 40
12p La Castellana Centennial Arch
12p La Castellana Municipal Building
Designer: Rodine C. Teodoroo
First Day Covers: Manila & Negros
La Castellana Municipality, Negros Occidental - Centennial
History of La Castellana, Negros Occidental
The town of La Castellana was
officially born on January 1, 1918 when the Spanish government
recognized it as a municipality which is separate and distinct from
the township of Pontevedra, also known as Marayo.
It was not exactly known when
the town was discovered but according to popular belief, the town
was discovered by the people of Marayo. The early settlers then
called the town “Lapak” and for a time, it was under the
jurisdiction of Marayo or what is now known as Pontevedra.
The early settlers of Marayo made
their way inland in search for food to supplement the subsistence
they get from the coasts. They cut their way through dense
vegetation and forests and eventually reached a place abounding with
fruits, edible plants and game food. Most of the people coming from
Marayo settled there and started calling the village “Lapak.” It
stayed that way for a long time until the arrival of the Spanish.
During the Spanish conquest of the
Philippines, the newcomers took time to explore various areas. In
the huge island of Buglas, the Spaniards were welcomed in different
places by Aetas who were the original settlers during that time.
They were so many that the Spanish contingent started referring to
Buglas Island as the place of Negros and Negritos.
Soon, the name stuck. The
Spanish love for exploration took some members of the contingent to
the village of Lapak. They were so enthralled with how the place
resembled the topography and vegetation of a place in Spain that
they named it after that place – Paseo de La Castellana, which is
situated in Madrid.
Eventually, more Spaniards arrived and
started developing the place by having vast areas cleared by the
natives. The newcomers established large haciendas which owned large
swathes of sugarcane plantation. Due to the high availability of
work, natives and other nationalities flocked to the place and soon,
the place became a major center of commerce and trade. A local
government was later established and finally, on January 1, 1918,
the town of La Castellana was born.