12p Rotary Club of Manila Centennial Logo
- Singles (50,000)
55p Souvenir Sheets of
One - 4,000
Designer: Victorino Z. Serevo
First Day Covers: Manila
ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA (RCM) - 100th ANNIVERSARY
Leon J. Lambert, a leading American businessman, initiated the
organization of a Rotary Club in the Philippines. On January 12,
1919, he hosted a meeting at his home and attended by prominent
American businessmen in Manila to discuss organizational matters on
forming a Rotary Club. Several more meetings followed.
On January 29, 1919, the charter members signed the Articles of
Incorporation of the Rotary Club of Manila. And on June 1, 1919,
the official Charter of the Rotary Club of Manila (Charter No. 478)
was granted by the Association of International Rotary Clubs.
The first officers of the Rotary Club of Manila (RCM) were Leon J.
Lambert, President; Alfonso Sycip, Vice-President; Walter A.
Beam, Treasurer; and Edwin Emil Elser; Secretary.
Until 1935, RCM was a non-district club and was under the direct
supervision of the President and Board of Directors of Rotary
of Rotary International (R.I.). In Rotary Year 1936-37, RCM was
included in China District 81. In 1938 R.I. (former China District)
for RCM and for other Philippine Clubs. Arsenio “Arsenic” Luz was
elected the first Filipino President of RCM on July 1, 1933. Under
his leadership, the “Manila Beautiful”
movement was launched,
wherein Luneta Park (now Rizal Park) and Dewey Boulevard (now Roxas
Boulevard) were beautified.
During World War II, President Hugo Miller convened Rotary meetings
under shellfire and aerial bombings, calling the meeting to order
with the butt of his pistol. General Douglas MacArthur was even
voted as an honorary member of RCM amidst rumble of heavy artillery;
however, he was not able to accept the honor personally.
When General Carlos P. Romulo (RCM President 1935-36) returned to
the Philippines with the Allied Forces, one of his first visits
was to the UST internment camp on February 28, 1945 where he talked
to the Rotarian-survivors. The Club was formally reorganized on
September 13, 1945 and 50 members attended the meeting and
unanimously decided that Gil Puyat(RCM President 1940-41) reassumed
the club presidency.
RCM was re-admitted to Rotary International on October 23, 1945.
1947 saw the resumption of the club’s socio-civic and
humanitarian projects under the presidency of Manoling Lim. In 1949
the club membership rose to 137 only 20 less than it was before the
outbreak of war. On
January 19, 1994, the Philippine Postal Corporation issued a special
stamp to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of RCM.
The Boy Scout movement was first started in the Philippines by the
RCM during the presidency of E. E. Elser. Among the original
organizers were Manila Rotarians Carlos P. Romulo, Jorge Vargas, and
Arsenio Luz, At that time scouting was under the Boy Scouts of
America. On October 3, 1936, President Manuel L. Quezon signed into
law Commonwealth Act No. 111 creating the Boy Scouts of the
RCM furthered its commitment to humanitarian projects with the
founding of Gaches Village for the mentally-retarded children
under President Samuel F. Gaches (1930-31), the sponsorship of
Philippine Band of Mercy incorporating its goals of rehabilitation
and vocational training of the physically-handicapped and supporting
the Elks Club Cerebral Palsy Project.
In recent years, RCM have embarked on several socio-civic projects
to elevate its social responsibility on a larger scale.
The Rotary Centennial Village, in cooperation with Habitat
International and City of Taguig, was built as a medium-rise housing
complex for low-salaried income residents and government employees
of Taguig. The project
was completed by RY2006-2007.
The RCM Awards Project was adopted as a perpetual participation of
the Club in the annual observance of National Press Week.
The Medical Equipment Training (MET) Program was conceived as a
long-term assistance and catalyst to healthcare in the country.
It was funded by the Rotary Foundation from 2001 to 2005.
By the end of the project’s term, it was a big success both
for the implementing agency, International Aid and the co-sponsoring
RCM continues to give invaluable support to communities through
medical missions, sight conservation through RCM Pagkalinga sa Mata
Center, drug abuse prevention programs, Ten Outstanding Workers of
the Republic (TOWER) Awards, seamanship training, TOURISM awards and
Special Children Project.
On its centennial year, Rotary Club of Manila stands proud on
all of its achievements through the decades of social services to
communities all over the country and it looks forward to another
hundred years of selfless service to the nation.