December 7. Return of Olongapo to
the Philippines by the U.S. Navy
Amstar Company, Inc. Perf. 14.
Se-tenant Pairs, Sheets of 40 (4 x
Se-tenant Pairs (50,000)
7p Turn Over Ceremony
with Official Seals of the Philippines and USA
7p Parade of Philippine and American Flags with
Official Seals of the Philippines and USA
First Day Covers: Manila;
RETURN OF OLONGAPO BY THE U.S. NAVY
Unlike the rest of the
Philippines which gained independence from the United States after
World War II in 1946, Olongapo was governed as a part of the United
States naval reservation. After lobbying efforts of James Leonard T.
Gordon, the area was relinquished to the Philippine government and
converted into a municipality on December 7, 1959. Six years later
under Mayor James Leonard T. Gordon, Olongapo was reconverted to a
chartered city on June 1, 1966. Olongapo
City administers itself autonomously from Zambales province.
Adjacent to the city is the Subic Bay Freeport Zone, which until
1992 was a United States naval base. Like his father before him,
Mayor Richard Gordon lobbied for the turnover of the facility and
its conversion into a freeport after the Senate of the Philippines
rejected an extension of a treaty with the United States government.
The city is known for its innovative methods of urban management in
the 1980s in addressing crime and cleanliness that has been copied
by local governments nationwide. These include the public utility
color-code, traffic management system, waste management system
earning Olongapo City national and international award such as the
UNESCO Cities for Peace representing Asia and the Pacific in 1997
and the Konrad Adenauer Local Medal of Excellence in 1999.
Furthermore, the Asian Development Bank and World Bank have also
recognized its successful urban redevelopment and city development
strategy after the US Base turnover.