2016, February 1. Court of Appeals, 80th Anniversary
Litho Offset, Amstar Company, Inc.,
Singles, Sheets of 40
15p Court of Appeals Building - Singles (101,000)
First Day Covers: Manila
Philippines Court of Appeals - 80th Anniversary
The Court of Appeals, second highest tribunal of the land, was
created on February 1, 1936 by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 3
promulgated on December 31, 1935 with its eleven (11) Judges with
Pedro Concepcion as the first Presiding Judge.
enactment of Commonwealth Act No. 259 dated April 7, 1938, the
appellate judges were named justices and the composition of the
Court of Appeals was increased to fifteen (15) justices. Executive
Order No. 4 (1942) was issued by the Executive Commission on
February 5, 1942, again increasing the number of justices to
seventeen (17). In the latter part of 1944, it was regionalized into
five (5) Districts -- Court Appeals for Northern, Central and
Southern Luzon; for Manila and for Visayas and Mindanao.
the abnormal conditions prevailing during the Japanese Occupation,
the Court was abolished in 1945 when Pres. Sergio Osmeņa Sr. issued
After the Japanese Occupation and with the passage
of R.A. 52 sponsored by Sen. Vicente Francisco on October 4, 1946,
the Court of Appeals was recreated consisting of a presiding justice
and fourteen (14) associate justices. Marceliano Montemayor was the
first post-war presiding justice. The first post -war legislation on
the judiciary was R.A. No. 926, otherwise known as the Judiciary Act
of 1948. The composition of the Court was increased to eighteen (18)
by R.A. 1605; then to twenty-four (24) justices by R.A. 5204 on June
16, 1968. The number of CA justices was increased again to
thirty-six (36) in 1973 and to forty-five (45) in 1978.
1983, there was a thorough judicial reorganization under Batas
Pambansa Blg. 129. E.O. 864 was issued wherein the Court of Appeals
was renamed Intermediate Appellate Court and its membership enlarged
to fifty (50) associate justices and a presiding justice. However,
only thirty-seven (37) justices were appointed.
change of government in 1986, President Corazon C. Aquino issued
E.O. 33 on July 28, 1986, in which the name Court of Appeals was
restored with a Presiding Justice and fifty (50) Associate Justices.
Articles by Dr. Ngo Tiong Tak