2016, July 1. City of Tagbilaran - 50th Charter Day
Litho Offset, Amstar Company, Inc.,
Singles, Sheets of 40; Souvenir Sheets of
One + Label
15p Tabgilaran City Hall "White House" - Singles (101,000)
Souvenir Sheets of One (5,000)
100p Saulog Festival
First Day Covers: Manila & Tagbilaran
Tagbilaran City, Bohol - 50th Charter Day
The City of Tagbilaran obtained its cityhood on July 1, 1966, by
virtue of Republic Act No. 4660 signed by then President Ferdinand
A hundred years before Spaniards arrived in the Philippines, the
settlement which eventually became Tagbilaran was already involved
in trading with China and Malaya. This early settlement had contact
with the Spaniards in 1565, when the Spanish conquistador Miguel
López de Legazpi and the native chieftain Datu Sikatuna pledged
peace and cooperation through the famous blood compact.
(San Jose de) Tagbilaran was established as a town on 9 February
1742, by General Don Francisco Antonio Calderon de la Barca,
Governor of the Visayas, who separated it from the town of Baclayon.
The town was dedicated to St. Joseph the Worker.
Since then it was part of the
province of Bohol until it became a chartered city on 1 July 1966,
by virtue of Republic Act No. 4660.
Sitio Ubos (Lower Town) is Tagbilaran's former harbor site and is
considered to be the city's oldest portion, having been a busy
trading center since the seventeenth century until the early
twentieth century. As such, the place houses the oldest and largest
number of heritage houses in Bohol. Sitio Ubos declined as a major
port towards the end of the Spanish era when the causeway to Panglao
Island was constructed. Since then, the area lost its former glory
and its old houses were either demolished or neglected.
In 2002, in recognition of its cultural and historic significance,
Sitio Ubos was declared a "Cultural Heritage Area". Some of the
surviving heritage houses to this day include the Rocha–Suarez
House, Rocha House, Hontanosas House, Beldia House, and Yap House.