Republic of the Philippines - Stamps & Postal History

RP Issues of 2017











2017, January 18.  Santa Rosa, Laguna, 225th Founding Anniversary

Litho Offset, Amstar Company, Inc.,  Perf 14

Singles,  Sheets of  40



12p  Official Logo, City of Santa Rosa- Singles  (101,000) 


Designer:  Rodine C. Teodoro


Stamp Design:  Official logo of the City of Sta. Rosa, Bust of a lion, Façade of Sta. Rosa City Hall, Museo de Santa Rosa, Sta. Rosa City Plaza, Sta. Rosa Arc, and Sta. Rosa de Lima Parish.



First Day Covers:  Manila & Santa Rosa, Laguna





City of Santa Rosa, Laguna - 225th Founding Anniversary

Santa Rosa’s historical past can be traced back to 1571.  The Spanish Conquistador Juan de Salcedo, while exploring the Laguna Lake Region, discovered Biñan which was hence annexed as a barrio to the town of Tabuco (now the town of Cabuyao).  During that time, Santa Rosa was part of Biñan and was called Barrio Bukol. 

Later in 1688, Biñan together with Barrio Bukol separated from Cabuyao.  Barrio Bukol, in turn, was politically emancipated in January 18, 1792 as the municipality of Santa Rosa. The town was named after Saint Rose of Lima of Peru under whose protection and patronage it was consecrated to. This was validated by numerous material and spiritual blessings bestowed on the Town’s people for the last 207 years.

During the revolutionary period, Sta. Rosa was instrumental in the proclamation of Philippine Independence from Spain when it signed the Act of Independence on June 12, 1898. Later on, the town’s local revolutionaries fought alongside the forces of General PiodelPilar during the short lived Filipino-American War.  After being briefly occupied by the Japanese during World War II, Santa Rosa was liberated by members of the Filipino guerilla resistance movement on February 5, 1945.

The City of Sta. Rosa, Laguna, also known as the “Lion City of South Luzon,” is widely known for being home to a famous amusement park.  Among the most popular tourist attractions in Sta. Rosa is the Sta. Rosa Arc.  The original “Bantayang Bato” was built in 1792, the year when Sta. Rosa was founded. After being refitted, it is now near the marketplace and was designed after the Arc de Triomphe in Champs Elysees, Paris, France.




  • Towns & Municipalities


Articles by Dr. Ngo Tiong Tak

Back to the Top


Issues of 2017